7-Zip is a file archiver with a high compression ratio. With these tools, you can easily send large quantities of information or open compressed files you receive without hassle. 7-Zip is an open-source software. Most of the source code is under the GNU LGPL license. The unRAR code is under a mixed license: GNU LGPL + unRAR restrictions. You can use 7-Zip on any computer, including a computer in a commercial organization. You don’t need to register or pay for 7-Zip.
Compression ratio results are very dependent upon the data used for the tests. Usually, It compresses to 7z format 30-70% better than to zip format. And the app compresses to zip format 2-10% better than most of the other zip compatible programs.
Features and Highlights
- High compression ratio in 7z format with LZMA and LZMA2 compression.
- Supported packing/unpacking: 7z, XZ, BZIP2, GZIP, TAR, ZIP and WIM
- Supported unpacking: ARJ, CAB, CHM, CPIO, CramFS, DEB, DMG, FAT, HFS, ISO, LZH, LZMA, MBR, MSI, NSIS, NTFS, RAR, RPM, SquashFS, UDF, VHD, WIM, XAR, and Z.
- For ZIP and GZIP formats, It provides a compression ratio that is 2-10 % better than the ratio provided by PKZip and WinZip.
- Strong AES-256 encryption in 7z and ZIP formats.
- Self-extracting capability for 7z format.
- Integration with Windows Shell.
- Powerful File Manager.
- Powerful command-line version.
- Plugin for FAR Manager.
- Localizations for 87 languages.